AFL Headlines: Port Star Dies In Vegas

Plus Maxwell's suspension and Wojcinski to retire?

Robert Whiteby Robert White

Port Adelaide confirmed the death of midfielder John McCarthy, who was holidaying in Las Vegas, on Monday.

McCarthy was found Sunday morning, Las Vegas time, outside the Flamingo Hotel having apparently fallen from the building. The 22-year-old was on a trip with ten other players from the club.

McCarthy was said to be alone at the time of the incident.

The Port players who had remained in Adelaide after the club failed to make the finals two weeks ago were called into the club’s HQ and told the news.

McCarthy had just completed his debut season with Port and averaged over 18 possessions and four marks in 21 contests. He had previously played 18 games with Collingwood after being the 31st selection in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft.

Collingwood paid their tributes today. Captain Nick Maxwell said the loss of McCarthy was a devastating one.

"It's a terrible day, a devastating day. Everyone here, especially his closest friends, feel for the McCarthy family. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them as we all bind together during this time. Today we lost a great friend," said Maxwell.

 

Collingwood’s finals’ campaign took another blow Monday when Maxwell was offered a two match suspension for his off the ball hit on Paul Puopolo on Friday night.

The key defender is set to miss at least Saturday night’s elimination final against West Coast at the MCG. If the suspension is upheld, Maxwell could only play again in 2012 if the Pies make the Grand Final.

 

Geelong veteran Matthew Scarlett left the game quietly after his side was poleaxed on Saturday by Fremantle and he may be soon joined by David Wojcinski.

The 31-year-old, and three-time premiership player, is leaning towards calling it a day after having played just four AFL games in 2012 due to hamstring and foot injuries.

Crave has Australian Sport covered.