Ah Spain, 30 days, 2 travelers, 3 weeks of hiking and knowledge of Spanish.. 10 words.
I’m about to embark on a journey. I’m going to take my little head, full of dread locks on 4 planes, 14 hours of travel just to go to one country and then walk for 6 hours a day, 2 to 4 miles an hour, for 3 weeks. Yes, I’m going on vacation to walk more than I’ve ever walked in my life, and I’m going to strap a 25 pound backpack to my person just to ad insult to injury.
You maybe thinking to yourself “But Sam, if this sounds like such a taxing embarking, why are you even going?”. To that I say “Who the heck nuts, talks like that?! Weirdo”
If I sound less then excited, then you’ve called my bluff, this is an exaggeration.
Let’s step back a minute and set this up. There’s a girl involved.
“Oh yea, ok that makes sense. I understand everything now”
“I knew you would, thanks for paying attention. ”
Here’s the deal, this is no mere ‘Vacation’ this is my Honeymoon. I’ve met the love of my life, and this is something she really wants to do, before we fall in to the doldrums of working for the weekend trying to make ends meet to raise a child that will most likely be conceived on this trip.
I mean, it’s likely right? You go to a foreign country, it’s hot, you showering in public, dogs talk with accents, every grocery bag has a long baguette sticking out of the top of it… peanut butter doesn’t exist!
As you might have noticed, my knowledge of what to expect is actually fairly limited. This is what I know for fact :
- I’m going on a 3 week hike along the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage.
- I know (having been told by many people), that I AM going to get blisters.
- I know that I literally remember enough high school to find a bathroom and ask about my little yellow pencil.
- I know that we’ll be staying in hostels and praying no one steals our stuff, cause all we’ll have is what we carry on our backs.
- I know that on the 4th week we get to lay around Barcelona, and think about what we’ve just done… and most likely we’ll have some sense of amazing accomplishment (so I’ve been told)
- I know that I’m dreading this trip
And I’ll be doing my best to update you, my readers with details here (for the more bizarre and ranty based comedic entries.) I’ll also have some posts on my own blog samproof.tv which will be more journal oriented and scientific accounts of what’s happening.